When you're planning your wedding, things get expensive real quick! You might wonder why some of your vendors are so expensive, or more specifically- "why am I paying so much for someone to just take pictures for 8 hours?" Wedding photography is a business, and there's lots to consider when running a small business. So here are some of the things you're helping pay for, when you hire a wedding photographer:
- There's hidden hours for emails and phone calls, editing photos and planning and going over details with couples.
- Taxes (both sales for providing the service and small business taxes)
- Insurance (liability, but also as a small business there's no benefits, so we cover our own health insurances)
- Investing in better quality equipment
- Monthly fees for editing software, website, bank accounts, etc.
- Continuing education and conferences
- Marketing and advertising (like on The Knot, WeddingWire, Instagram, etc.)
- Travel and parking
Paying for wedding photographers is not just paying for the photos, but for learning about the photographer, falling in love with their pictures and running a business. It's helpful to remember that in 2, 5, 10 years after your wedding, you'll have your spouse and your pictures. The flowers won't make it, the DJ, the favors... but your photography is an investment in your memories of your big day!